Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, 0 A. D. is an open-source war and economy real time strategy game of ancient warfare, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The latest version available is 0 A. D. Alpha 17 Quercus, which comes with a lot of changes.
Top changes and new features added to 0 A. D. Alpha 17:
- Major Core Combat Rebalance: Now, if you send only one unit type to battle, it fares poorly against regiments of the same size that mix more than one type, e.g. melee and ranged units. Technologies as a whole have been made more expensive and unrelated technologies have been “unpaired”. Some stats have been adjusted to make training some units viable. Buildings are now a bit easier to destroy. Temporarily, we have removed formations, and we plan to re-implement them again in a more balanced way.
- Naval Map Support: The computer opponent now uses transport ships to colonize other islands and attack enemy bases, but naval combat (i.e. ships against ships) is not yet implemented.
- Improved Fog of War: The Fog of War is the part of the terrain that has been scouted already but is not in vision range of your units or allied units. Buildings and changes to resources such as trees or metal mines are now also hidden in the Fog of War, and not just units. Hence, players now need to scout more often to find unclaimed resources on the map, hidden enemy outposts and more.
- Units On Walls: Units can be garrisoned in wall segments, and appear on the walls at predefined prop points. (Importantly, while the units can attack and be attacked individually, they cannot walk around on the wall.)
- Multiplayer Lobby Profiles: Users can now view profiles of other players from within the lobby. Profiles contain user statistics such as rating, games won and lost, highest rating, and ranking that can be accessed on-demand.
- New Maps: Siwa Oasis (skirmish map) and Schwarzwald (random map).
For more information about this release, see the official changelog.
In this article I will show you how to install 0 A.D. Alpha 17 Quercus on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precie Pangolin, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing 0 A.D. Alpha 17 Quercus on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the 0ad package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install 0ad
Optional, to remove 0 A.D., do:
$ sudo apt-get remove 0ad