Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, APT (Advanced Package Tool) is the default package manager of Debian, Ubuntu and their derivative systems. Despite the fact that the development process has started about 16 years ago, version 1.0 which brought new commands, has been released earlier this year.
New commands, added since APT 1.0:
- apt list displays the installed and upgradable packages, similar output dpkg -l
- apt search searches in the local repositories for packages, similar to apt-cache search, but displays the packages in alphabetical order
- apt show displays information about packages, like apt-cache show, but displays a simplified output
- apt update updates the local repository index, like apt-get update, but displays colored output
- apt install installs packages from th repositories like apt-get install, but adds a progress bar
- apt remove installs packages from th repositories like apt-get remove, but adds a progress bar
- apt full-upgrade does the same as apt-get dist-upgrade
- apt edit-sources opens the /etc/apt/sources.list file, in the default editor.
And the developers have kept working at APT. The latest version available is APT 22.214.171.124, which has been recently released, coming only with fixes for some regressions.
In this article I will show you how to install APT 126.96.36.199 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and Debian 8 Jessie.
Because it is not available via any repository or PPA, we have to download the apt deb package and the required dependency by hand and install them from the command-line. I prefer gdebi over dpkg due to the fact that it also handles dependencies.
Follow the instructions for your system’s architecture exactly, in order to get a successful installation.
How to install APT 188.8.131.52 on 32 bit Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Debian 8 and derivative systems:
$ sudo apt-get install gdebi
$ wget ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apt/libapt-pkg4.12_184.108.40.206_i386.deb
$ sudo gdebi libapt-pkg4.12_220.127.116.11_i386.deb
$ wget ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_18.104.22.168_i386.deb
$ sudo gdebi apt_22.214.171.124_i386.deb
How to install APT 126.96.36.199 on 64 bit Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Debian 8 and derivative systems:
$ wget ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apt/libapt-pkg4.12_188.8.131.52_amd64.deb
$ sudo gdebi libapt-pkg4.12_184.108.40.206_amd64.deb
$ wget ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/apt/apt_220.127.116.11_amd64.deb
$ sudo gdebi apt_18.104.22.168_amd64.deb