Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, 0 A. D. is an open-source war and economy real time strategy game of ancient warfare, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The latest version available is 0 A. D. Alpha 18 “Rhododactylos”, which comes with a lot of changes.
Top New Gameplay Features in This Release:
- Nomad Game Mode: Players start with only some citizen soldiers and female citizens, and no civil center, and must build a base from scratch.
- In-Game Technology Tree: Allows players to see which faction can research what technologies, when and for how many resources.
- The default AI, Petra, now supports saved games.
- Toggle groups of units between marching in formation and breaking formation.
- New Seleucid buildings
Performance Improvements and Other Changes Under the Hood:
- SpiderMonkey upgraded to v31
- C++11 upgrade
- More Efficient Fogging and Visibility Calculations
- New Wildfire Games Server
Improvements to the Atlas Editor:
- Right-Click Rotations of Multiple Objects: Normal behavior: Rotate objects in circle,
- Ctrl+Right-click: Rotate each of the objects individually in place, Shift+Right-click: Keep rotation but move in circle.
- Atlas now checks for unsaved changes when closing a map.
- Atlas now shows when objects are placed in invalid locations by highlighting them in red.
- Show template names of selected objects.
- Copy and paste added to Edit menu.
- Numerous bug fixes.
For more information, see the release notes.
In this article I will show you how to install 0 A.D. Alpha 18 Rhododactylos on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precie Pangolin, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2 and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing 0 A.D. Alpha 18 Rhododactylos on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the 0ad package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install 0ad
Optional, to remove 0 A.D., do:
$ sudo apt-get remove 0ad