Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know Audacity is an open-source, multi-platform audio editor and recorder, running on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
- recording (from a microphone or mixer)
- import/export of WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC, MP3 (via LAME encoder) Ogg Vorbis files
- advanced editing (cut, copy, paste, delete commands with unlimited “Undo” and “Redo”, multitrack mixing)
- digital effects (change the pitch, remove background noises, alter frequencies, remove vocals, create voice-overs for podcasts etc.) and plug-ins (support for LADSPA, Nyquist, VST Audio Unit, including VAMP analysis plug-ins).
The latest version available is Audacity 2.0.6, which has been released a while ago, coming with both improvements and fixes.
- better user interface for Keyboard Preferences
- streamlining of several Menus
- LV2 now supported on all platforms, and improved VST settings interface
- translations updated, including adding Tamil language
- user interface bug fixes to Region Restore, dragging selections, and many others effects bug fixes to add missing effects to Chains, fix accuracy of Analyze > Contrast, fix accuracy of Noise Removal attack and decay, and improve speed of Nyquist effects on OS X and Linux
other bug fixes to Timeline after Loop Play, Transcription Toolbar, and Linux build issues
For more information about this release, see the changelog.
In this article I will show you how to install Audacity 2.0.6 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is available via the Audacious Daily PPA, installing Audacity 2.0.6 on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the audacity package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audacity-team/daily
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install audacity
Optional, to remove audacity, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove audacity