Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may already know, Calibre is an open-source book management software, with many interesting features including e-book conversion, e-book viewer, library to ebook reader synchronization and support for the most popular eBook formats, including: epub, cbz, mobi, fb2 . Being multi-platform, the app works on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
The latest version available is Calibre 2.2.0, coming with bug-fixes and the below improvements:
- Kindle driver: Add option to not overwrite existing page number (apnx) files on the device when sending books to the device
- Kindle driver: Add option to allow customization of the page number (apnx) generation algorithm based on values in a custom column
- Metadata jacket: Allow customizing the jacket template to show the tags in alphabetical order
- View specific format window: If a conversion finishes in the background making a new format available, update the window
- E-book viewer: Automatically hide the mouse cursor if the mouse has not been used for a few seconds. This prevents the mouse cursor from obscuring text underneath it. The cursor will reappear automatically when you move the mouse.
- Driver for SurfPad 3.
For more information about this release, see the changelog.
In this article I will show you how to install Calibre 2.2.0 on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, LXLE, Elementary OS, Pinguy OS, Peppermint, Linux Lite, Deepin, Debian, Kwheezy, Crunchbang, SparkyLinux and other Ubuntu and Debian derivative systems.
There is no repository available for Calibre 2.2.0, but the developers provide us a python oneliner for installing the latest Calibre version. Also install the dependencies, in order to avoid installation issues.
$ sudo python -c "import sys; py3 = sys.version_info > 2; u = __import__('urllib.request' if py3 else 'urllib', fromlist=1); exec(u.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read()); main()"
The installation script downloads and extracts the latest Calibre installer, and installs the app in /opt/calibre, by default. But the user can easily change the installation destination.