Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Calligra Suite is an office suite similar to the LibreOffice or OpenOffice suites, being available on Kubuntu and other KDE-based Linux systems. The Calligra suite contains the following apps: Words, Stage, Sheets, Flow, and Kexi (office apps), Krita and Karbon (graphics manipulation) and Plan (project management).
The latest version available is Calligre Suite 2.8.7, which has been recently released, coming with fixes and changes.
- Fix endless loop in text rendering.
- Add workaround for loading markers with old and broken path.
Kexi – Visual Database Applications Builder:
- Improve main menu widget for QtCurve style.
- Display “git” version in application’s About box.
- Fix position of the Calligra logo based on height of the main menu.
- Ask for password if needed when Test Connection button is clicked in Kexi.
- Fix checking for file overwriting on file creation.
- Fix a few memory leaks and uninitialized variables.
- Make the main tabbed toolbar more modern, make it work better with more styles (including KDE’s next style Breeze)
- Hide some form unnecessary widget properties in Property Editor.
- Fix handling of Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown shortcuts in forms.
- Add possibility of creating Kexi reports elements no matter where mouse was pressed and where it was released. Also avoid setting too small size of elements and drawing them outside of the report area.
- Fix bug in report toolbox: first element after separator did not function as on/off.
- Fix old regression: reintroduce report chart plugin.
- Improve UX of Report Designer: better styling of section titles: colors, icons, size; draw them in inactive color when focus is out. switch between sections also when titles are clicked or sections resized.
- Fix width of ruler in “Detail” section of the Report Designer.
Krita – Creative Sketching & Painting App:
- Fix saving the composed image in PSD files. The composed image data in Photoshop should be pre-filled with white.
- Read dates in Krita RSS feed also on systems with non-english locale.
Calligra Plan – Project Management App:
- Ensure timely order of time intervals of a calendar day.
- Set current schedule also to all team members. Also fixes crash on calculating a schedule when a task is assigned to a team.
Calligra Words – Word Processor:
- Render thumbnails optionally like for print (fixes file thumbnails).
For more information about this release, see the changelog.
It is advised to install Calligra Office Suite 2.8.7 on systems using KDE , because it depends on many kde libraries that will be installed on your system, if they are not already.
In this article I will show you how to install Calligra Office Suite 2.8.7 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn.
Because it is available via Kubuntu Backports PPA, installing Calligra Suite 2.8.7 on the listed Ubuntu 14.10 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the calligra package.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install calligra
To uninstall Calligra Suite 2.8.7 and remove the recently added ppa, do:
$ sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get remove calligra