Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Cantata is an open-source music player daemon developed in Qt, having support for multiple music player daemon (MPD) collections, a built-in file organizer, support for USB mass storage and MTP device, audio CD ripping and scrobbling features and a simple tag editor.
The latest version available is Cantata 1.4.2, which has been released a while ago, coming with the below changes:
- When guessing song details from filename (due to missing tags), remove any extension – not just three letter extensions!
- In tag editor, only show ‘(Various)’ hint for the ‘All tracks’ entry.
- Also capitalise composer in tag editor.
- Resize device properties dialog when changing transcoder.
- Initialise sidebar icon sizes before constructing.
- Display multiple genres as separate entries in playlists page genre combo.
- Resize cover in grouped view if it is too wide.
- In context view, when creating links to similar artists compare artists names case-insensitively.
- Fix downloading of podcasts when url is redirected.
- If ‘force single click’ is disabled, then double-click on icon view will not add artist/album to playqueue but navigate into.
- When using Cache config page to clear disk cover/scaled-cover cache, also clear memory cache.
- Allow to change stream, and online-service, filter search category without closing current search field.
- Fix combo-box text changed signal for Qt5 builds.
- Don’t have double spacer when cover-widget is hidden.
- Fix crash in context view if song tracks changed quickly.
- Better method of setting disabled opacity for monochrome icons.
- Fix parsing of podcast RSS files containing “content” tag.
- Set user-agent for podcast URL queries, otherwise requests can fail.
- Fix crash when changing buttons of dialogs in Qt builds.
- Fix setting of played state for podcasts.
- Fix display of unplayed podcast episode counts.
- Check if downloading podcasts in closeEvent() as well as quit()
- If initial settings wizard is canceled, ensure that it is shown at next start.
- Ignore empty station names in shoutcast and dirble.
- Fix potential crash when parsing cue files.
For a full list of changes, see the changelog for yourself.
In this article I will show you how to install Cantata 1.4.2 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Peppermint Five, Deepin 2014, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing Cantata 1.4.2 MPD on the listed Ubuntu and Linux Mint systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the cantata package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install cantata
Optional, to remove cantata, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove cantata