Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Fingerprint GUI is an open-source application for the laptop’s fingerprint reader, for enhancing the security.
The latest version available is Fingerprint GUI 1.06, which has been released a while ago, coming with the below changes:
- Bugfix: Segfault after failed login on secure tty;
- Fix for cinnamon-screensaver on Mint 16 and Mint 17.
- Fingerpint-helper is aware of multiple screen environments and is always placed on the screen that contains the cursor;
- Added MATE to fingerprint-polkit-agent.desktop settings;
- New program icon;
- New design for fingerprint request widget;
In this article I will show you how to install Fingerprint-GUI 1.06 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and other Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing Fingerprint-GUI 1.06 on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the fingerprint-gui package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fingerprint/fingerprint-gui
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install fingerprint-gui
Optional, to remove fingerprint-gui, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove fingerprint-gui