Edit: Due to the fact that this article is old, the installation instructions may not work anymore. In order to successfully install the latest version of KDE Plasma, please access the KDE tag and open the latest article (the one on top).
Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, KDE Plasma 5 has been released a while ago, being created in Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5.
KDE Plasma 5 comes with many important apps ported in Qt5, the new Kicker Menu, a new default theme called Breeze and new wallpapers, new monochrome icons, support for hardware acceleration via OpenGL and OpenGL ES, an updated KDM (KDE display manager) and an enhanced lockscreen, among other changes implemented.
Recently, the first maintenance release of KDE 5 (KDE 5.1.1) has been recently released, coming with a huge list of changes:
- Limiting indexing word size in Baloo.
- Don’t index dots in Baloo, it’s a regular expression character
- Breeze: Do not takeout margins from toolbutton before rendering text
- Breeze: cleanup tab buttons positioning
- Breeze: Fix positioning of cornerwidgets
- Notes widget: Make text color white on black note
- Clock widget: Fix fuzzy clock saying half past seven when it’s half past six
- khotkeys: fix loading configuration
- kinfocenter: Set the correct version
- kcm-effects: Use Loader for the Video Item
- Oxygen: margins and RTL fixes
- Plasma Desktop: Validate timezone name before setting
- Plasma Desktop: Backport settings made in the component chooser to kdelibs 4 applications
- Plasma Desktop: make kdelibs 4 apps react to icon theme change
- Plasma Desktop: Cleanup applet configuration scrollbar handling and fix glitching alternatives dialog
- Plasma Desktop: fix emptying the trash from the context menu
- Plasma Desktop: numberous bugfixes
- Plasma Workspace: Remove shutdown option from screen locker
Before we get to the installation steps, you should know that KDE 5 does not run along with KDE 4, so try this on a Fedora 20/Fedora 21 system running inside a Virtualbox or VMware virtual machine, so that you don’t brick your main system.
In this article I will show you how to install KDE Plasma 5.1.1 on Fedora 20 and Fedora 21.
How to install KDE Plasma 5.1.1 on either 32 bit or 64 bit Fedora 21 systems:
$ sudo wget http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/dvratil/plasma-5/repo/fedora-21/dvratil-plasma-5-fedora-21.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/dvratil-plasma-5-fedora-21.repo
$ sudo yum install kde5-\*
How to install KDE Plasma 5.1.1 on either 32 bit or 64 bit Fedora 20 systems:
$ sudo wget http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/dvratil/plasma-5/repo/fedora-20/dvratil-plasma-5-fedora-20.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/dvratil-plasma-5-fedora-20.repo
$ sudo yum install kde5-\*