Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, LXQt (LXDE-Qt) is a lightweight desktop environment, unifying both LXDE and Razor-Qt. It uses PCManFM-Qt, a version of PCManFM, re-written in Qt, as the default file manager and Openbox as window manager and has support for Wayland, a new display server developed by Red Hat.
The latest version available is LXQt 0.8 which has been recently released, being entirely developed in Qt 5.3, but also compatible with Qt4. According to the changelog, it brings the below changes:
- Full Qt 5 support. Run cmake with -DUSE_QT5 to enable it.
- New component: lxqt-admin. This brings an optional set of basic admin tools such as configuration for date & time as well as users and groups.
- New theme: Plasma Next. Based on KDE Plasma Next theme.
- New theme: Dark Alpha, by Inti Alonso.
- Much improved support for multiple displays.
- Support for RGBA transparency if compositing is available.
- lxqt-config-randr has been removed. It has been replaced by lxqt-config-monitor.
- pcmanfm-qt: Support single-click to activate items
- pcmanfm-qt: Support drag & drop on the desktop
- pcmanfm-qt: Implement integration with the ark archive manager
- pcmanfm-qt: Improve readability in icon view
- lxqt-panel: Support reordering of taskbar buttons
- lxqt-panel: Support “urgency” hint
- lxqt-panel: Add support for OSS in volume control, if available
- lxqt-powermanagement: Improved compatibility with systemd/logind
- Integrate with compton if available (disabled by default)
- Add support for setting a default UI font
- Lots of performances improvements.
- Lots and lots of bugfixes.
In this article I will show you how to install LXQt 0.8 on Debian 8 Jessie and derivative systems.
In order to install LXQt 0.8 on Debian 8 Jessie, we need to add the Siduction repository that containts LXQt and install it from it.
First, download and export the repository key and add the repository to your system:
$ sudo gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 15CBD88045C45076
$ sudo gpg -a --export 15CBD88045C45076 | sudo apt-key add -
$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.siduction.org/lxqt unstable main"
Install all the LXQt required packages:
$ sudo apt-get install lxqt-session-qt5 lxqt-admin-qt5 lxqt-policykit-qt5 lxqt-powermanagement-qt5 lxqt-qtplugin-qt5 lxqt-runner-qt5 pcmanfm-qt5 lxqt-about-qt5 lxqt-config-qt5 openbox lxappearance lxappearance-obconf