Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, MKVToolNix is a Matroska (mkv) multimedia manipulation tool pack. You can edit mkv video files, split files, sync audio with video.
It contains the following command-line tools:
- mkvmerge – a tool for creating Matroska files from other formats
- mkvinfo – a tool that the users to get information about the tracks in a Matroska file
- mkvextract – a tool that extracts tracks from Matroska files to other formats
The latest version available is MKVToolNix 7.2, which has been recently released, coming with the below fixes:
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed calculating AC3 delay from garbage data when reading AC3 from AVIs. This stopped working in release 5.4.0
- mkvextract: bug fix: SSA/ASS files with sections after “[Events]” in their CodecPrivate are now handled correctly.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed handling certain edit list types in MP4 files that are used for positive track delays.
- Fixes source: Fixed compilation with Boost 1.56.0 which changed the indexed range adaptor in an incompatible way.
- mkvpropedit, mmg’s header editor: bug fix: when editing files with missing track UID elements such an element will be generated automatically instead of crashing and leaving the file in an unplayable state.
- mkvmerge: bug fix: Reading Matroska files with missing track UID elements will no longer cause mkvmerge to abort with an error. A warning is printed and a new unique track ID generated instead.
In this article I will show you how to install MKVToolNix 7.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Peppermint Five, Deepin 2014, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0, Debian Jessie, Debian Wheezy and other Ubuntu 14.04 derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA or repository, installing MKVToolNix 7.2 on Ubuntu, Debian and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the repository to your system, download and import the key, update the local repository index and install the mkvtoolnix and mkvtoolnix-gui. Like this:
$ wget -q -O - https://www.bunkus.org/gpg-pub-moritzbunkus.txt | sudo apt-key add -
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://www.bunkus.org/ubuntu/trusty/ ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix mkvtoolnix-gui
Optional, to remove mkvtoolnix and mkvtoolnix-gui, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove mkvtoolnix mkvtoolnix-gui