Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Subversion (SVN) is an open-source versioning and revision control system developed by Apache, similar to Git.
The latest version available is Subvertion (SVN) 1.8.10, which has been released a while ago, coming with both client-side bug-fixes and server-side bug-fixes and developer visible changes:
- guard against md5 hash collisions when finding cached credentials
- ra_serf: properly match wildcards in SSL certs.
- ra_serf: ignore the CommonName in SSL certs where there are Subject Alt Names
- ra_serf: fix a URI escaping bug that prevented deleting locked paths
- rm: Display the proper URL when deleting a URL in the commit log editor
- log: Fix another instance of broken pipe error
- copy: Properly handle props not present or excluded on cross wc copy
- copy: Fix copying parents of locally deleted nodes between wcs
- externals: Properly delete ancestor directories of externals when removing the external by changing svn:externals
- ra_serf: fix memory lifetime of some hash values
- fsfs: omit config file when creating pre-1.5 format repos
- fix improper linking when serf is in the same prefix as existing svn libraries
- use proper intermediate directory when building with VS 2003-2008
- support generating VS 2013 and later project files
- ruby: removing warning about Ruby 1.9 support being new
- python: fix notify_func callbacks
In this article I will show you how to install Subversion (SVN) 1.8.10 on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Deepin 2014, Pinguy OS 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and other Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 12.04 derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing Subversion (SVN) 1.8.10 on Ubuntu 14.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the subvention package. Like this:
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dominik-stadler/subversion-1.8
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install subversion
To start the app, open your terminal, type svn and hit enter.
Optional, to remove subversion, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove subversion