Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Sweet Home 3D is an open source interior design application, allowing the users to easily rearrange their house. Among others, in allows the users to draw walls and rooms on existing plans, drag and drop windows, doors and others from the catalog to the plan, modify color, texture size and orientation of the furniture, ceilings, floors and walls, view the changes in 3D, import and export plans, etc.
The latest version available is Sweet Home 3D 4.4, which comes with a lot of fixes and improvements:
- Added a search textfield to filter textures and a list of the recently used textures in the textures choice dialog box.
- Added texture rotation support.
- Made the selected material blink in the 3D preview of the Furniture materials modification dialog box.
- Improved text fields used to edit lengths when Foot/Inch/Fraction unit is active.
- Added Edit > Select all at all levels menu item, with feedback in level tabs showing level names outlined with selection color under Java 6 and higher.
- Replaced Select object menu by Toggle selection menu in plan contextual menu when Shift key is pressed.
- Added dropOnTopElevation property to the pieces of catalog furniture to place objects on furniture at a preferred elevation (to simplify the layout of objects upon or below shelves, chairs, trees…).
- Added Furniture > Reset elevation menu item to recompute the preferred elevation of the selected furniture placed on other pieces.
- Added KMZ extension to the list of file extensions supported in the furniture import wizard.
- Added support for sideways moves in the 3D view with the keyboard using Alt + left arrow and Alt + right arrow keys.
- Avoided data duplicates in SH3D files during saving.
- Checked available disk space before saving under Java 6 and higher.
- Added an option to repair damaged SH3D files with the ability to retrieve corrupted data from Sweet Home 3D catalogs, to remove damaged 3D models and images, or to display them in red.
- Took into account texture image transparency for the ground texture in the 3D view.
- Improved texture transparency management in SunFlow.
- Fixed an issue in SunFlow parameters that could generate some black square dots.
- Added support for import from SH3D files in the Online version, checking which 3D models and textures are available on the server to reduce home data length saved on the server.
- Added a Delete button in the Open dialog box of the Online version to delete homes saved on server.
- Checked home data length doesn’t exceed the maximum allowed on the server before saving it in the Online version.
- Added camera, selectableCameras, level and selectableLevels parameters to the Sweet Home 3D Viewer to let the user select some stored points of view and home levels.
- Added activateCameraSwitchKey parameter to disable space bar in Sweet Home 3D Viewer.
- Added the ability to edit the 3D model of a piece of furniture in the Furniture Library Editor.
- Fixed issues in the dependencies of a DAE file when they use spaces, % and # characters.
- Fixed an issue on texture coordinates computed at doors and windows intersection for walls with an angle different of 0° or 90° in the plan.
- Fixed texture coordinates management on the 3D model previewed in Furniture materials pane for small models.
- Checked length of auto completion strings list saved in preferences doesn’t pass the maximum allowed value.
- Refused to import the ZIP file of a 3D model containing entries that are not readable.
- Fixed 3D view management to avoid it remaining grey under Windows with Java 7/8.
- Increased the maximum memory to 2 GB used in the Java Web Start version run under Windows and Linux 64 bit systems.
- Displayed the maximum memory set for Java in the About dialog box.
- Updated English, French, German, Swedish, Hungarian and Bulgarian help pages.
- Upgraded Java 3D to version 1.6.0pre10 / JOGL 2.1.5 for the Mac OS X version run with Java 7.
- Other minor bugs fixes and enhancements.
In this article I will show you how to install Sweet Home 3D 4.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Peppermint Five, Deepin 2014, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.0 and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is not available via any repository or PPA, we have to download the Sweet Home 3D archive, extract it and run the application. Follow the instructions for your system’s architecture exactly.
How to install Sweet Home 3D 4.4 on 32 bit Ubuntu 14.04 and derivative systems:
$ cd ~
$ wget sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/files/SweetHome3D/SweetHome3D-4.4/SweetHome3D-4.4-linux-x86.tgz
$ tar -xzvf SweetHome3D-4.4-linux-x86.tgz
$ cd SweetHome3D-4.4/
How to install Sweet Home 3D 4.4 on 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04 and derivative systems:
$ cd ~
$ wget sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/files/SweetHome3D/SweetHome3D-4.4/SweetHome3D-4.4-linux-x64.tgz
$ tar -xzvf SweetHome3D-4.4-linux-x64.tgz
$ cd SweetHome3D-4.4/
Optional, to remove SweetHome 3D, do:
$ sudo rm -r ~/SweetHome3D-4.4