Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, the Nvidia 331.89 Stable drivers for Linux have been recently released, coming with support for the AMD Radeon GeForce GT 730 GPU. Also, according to the changelog, this are the worth mentioning changes:
- Fixed a race condition in the NVIDIA kernel module that caused some GPUs to sporadically become unresponsive.
- Updated the error reporting in the NVIDIA kernel module to include the GPU serial number, when available, in error messages written to the system log.
- Fixed a bug that caused blank screens when transforming or rotating displays in an SLI Mosaic layout.
- Fixed a bug that corrupted certain software rendering on 32-bit systems.
- Improved compatibility with recent Linux kernels.
- Fixed a bug that could result in system instability while restoring the VGA console.
- Fixed an interaction problem with xserver 1.15 that occasionally caused OpenGL applications to continue rendering when they are minimized or unmapped.
- Updated nvidia-bug-report.sh to search the systemd journal for X server logs and messages from the NVIDIA kernel module.
- Added support for X.org xserver ABI 18 (xorg-server 1.16).
Also worth mentioning, NVIDIA has started to release GPU drivers with support for both Wayland and Mir display servers, coming as replacements for the good old X.org, for Red Hat, Fedora and respectively Ubuntu systems.
In this article I will show you how to install the NVIDIA 331.89 GPU drivers on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 16 Petra, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Pinguy OS 12.04, LXLE 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Linux Lite 2.0, Peppermint Five and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing the NVIDIA 331.89 GPU drivers on Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the nvidia-331 package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-331
Optional, to remove the nvidia-331 driver, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove nvidia-331