Edit: Due to the fact that this article is old, the installation instructions may not work anymore. In order to successfully install the latest version of Valentina, please access the valentina tag and open the latest article (the one on top).
Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Valentina is an open-source software for creating clothing articles. Among others, it allows the users to create cloth patterns using either standard sizes or custom set of measurements, using traditional methods to create unique pattern tools.
The latest version available is Valentina 0.3.0, which has been recently released, coming with the below changes:
- Fixed creation equidistant if points less than 4.
- New Layout Editor.
- To File/Preferences/Paths added path to export a layout.
- Minor changes in GUI.
- Fixed hangs if curve path has not unique points.
- Fixed crash Detail dialog.
- Vertical bar for tool “Point from X and Y”.
- Show images for pen styles instead of just names.
- Fold Line in pattern piece. Pattern format updated to version 0.1.3.
- Tool Dialogs: Label at bottom doesn’t update for empty lists.
- Bug with mouse cursor.
- Dynamic update tool property browser after applying options changes.
- Drag a curve to edit it.
- Delete button “Equal” in dialogs.
- Message “Changes saved” in dialog Increments.
- Fixed problem with formula editing in vtooloptionspropertybrowser and “,” decimal separator .
- Continue improving log system.
- Close property browser when reset window.
- Repeat last used tool.
- Show detail information about standard measurements file in dialog Increments.
- Set default base height and base size according base values in standard measurements file.
- New localization language – Spanish.
- Delete point without confirmation / configurable.
- New localization language – Finnish.
In this article I will show you how to install Valentina 0.3.0 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2 and other Ubuntu 14.10 and Ubuntu 14.04 derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing Valentina 0.3.0 on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the valentina package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dismine/valentina
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install valentina
Optional, to remove valentina, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove valentina