I have previously written a post showing you how to compile software from source. You can find it here.
In this article I will show you how to install Caffeine 2.4.1 on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail, from sources.
1. Download the caffeine*.tar.gz file, like this:
$ wget https://launchpad.net/caffeine/2.4/2.4.1/+download/caffeine_2.4.1%2B419%7Eoneiric1.tar.gz
2. Extract the tar.gz archive:
$ tar -xzvf caffeine_2.4.1+419~oneiric1.tar
3. Create the makefile:
$ cd recipe-2.4.1+419
4. Now, as root, compile the sources:
$ sudo su
5. Install the application, as root:
# make install
6. Remove the temporary unusefull files created by the installation, as root:
# make clean
To uninstall, just type, as root:
# make uninstall