As you may know, MythTV is an digital video recorder application. It is ideal for watching and recording television programs and has many plugins that can increase Myth-TV’s power.
The latest version available is MythTV 0.28, which has been released a while ago, coming with a huge list of changes:
Key New Features:
- WebFrontend. The web interface that uses the webserver built-in the backend (no configuration required.)MythWeb is still available as WebFrontend is not feature complete to replace MythWeb.
- Major UPnP overhaul The UPnP code has seen major changes, improved browsing modes, more metadata, artwork for all media, strict UPnP (2014) and DLNA compliance and support for additional UPnP features. (Note: Client support for additional metadata varies. Client behaviour depends on UPnP compliance.)
- The cardinput table is no longer used, data has moved to capturecard
- MythMusic now uses storage groups you just have to tell the master or a slave backend where your music is located and all frontends will have access to it (no need to mount it using NFS or Cifs).
- MythMusic Lyrics View MythMusic can now search for the lyrics for the currently playing track.
- Updated MythMusic Radio Stream List MythMusic now downloads from our server an updated list of over 31000 radio streams from all around the world.
- MythZoneMinder popup notifications on alarms Shows a live view of the alarmed camera in a popup window.
- Replacement Gallery using MythUI & storage groups Backend manages images in Storage Group and supports multiple frontends/service clients
- Add VBox TV Gateway support
- Add H.265 (HEVC) and VP9 support.
- Using FFmpeg 3.0
In order to successfully install MythTV on your Ubuntu system, you have to add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index and install the mythtv package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install mythtv
Before the installation is finished, you will be prompted to insert a root password for the MySQL database twice.
Optional, to remove mythtv, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove mythtv
The installation instructions should work on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr and derivative systems like Linux Mint 17.x and Elementary OS 0.3 Freya.