As you may know, Pidgin is a popular multi-protocol instant messaging client, having support for popular chat services, including Y! Messenger, Steam Chat, Facebook Chat and Jabber.
The latest version available is Pidgin 2.10.12, which has been released a while ago, coming with the below changes.
- purple-url-handler now works with Python 3.x
- Fixed an issue where transient startup statuses could be deleted
- The shout smile now matches the default theme
- Updated internal libgadu to version 1.12.1.
Voice / Video:
- GStreamer 1.0 support
- Bump farstream02 requirement to 0.2.7
- Other VV related changes required for the third-party SIPE plugin
- Fix for AIM when using gateway proxies (like smarsh)
- Don’t render smileys in the History plugin’s headers.
In order to successfully install Pidgin on your Ubuntu system, you have to add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index and install the pidgin package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install pidgin
Optional, to remove pidgin, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove pidgin
The installation instructions should work on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17.x, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya and other Ubuntu derivative systems.