As you may know, Rawtherapee is an open-source image processing software (similar to Adobe Lightroom), written in C++ and using GTK+ as frontend.
The latest version available is RawTherapee 5.0, which brings a big list of changes.
- Wavelets tool.
- Retinex tool.
- Monitor profile and rendering intent support.
- Print soft-proofing support.
- Automatic chroma noise reduction, manual luminance noise reduction using sliders and curves.
- The “Inspect” tab in the File Browser lets you see a 100% preview of the image whose thumbnail your mouse cursor hovers over, which is either the largest JPEG image embedded in the raw file or the image itself when hovering over non-raw images.
- The curve pipette allows you to pick the right point of a curve by clicking in the preview, and input/output values so that you can set the desired output value for a given input value.
- Post-resize sharpening, to give your photos that subtle crispness after resizing them.
- Dual-illuminant DCP support with curves, base tables, look tables and baseline exposure.
- New exposure tone curve modes “Luminance” and “Perceptual”.
- Queue processing will stop if an error is encountered while saving, e.g. if you run out of disk space.
- The Contrast by Detail Levels tool received the “Process Locate Before/After Black-and-White” option.
- Rec. 2020 ICC profile added.
- The Navigator can show RGB, HSV and L*a*b* values in a range of 0-255, 0-1 or %.
- The Lockable Color Picker allows you to place multiple sample points over the preview to measure colors and see them change in real time as you manipulate the image. They support the same ranges as the Navigator.
- Grayscale JPEG and TIFF images are now supported.
- 32-bit TIFF files are supported.
- In addition to these new features, RawTherapee received over two years worth of amazing speedups, code cleanups and bug fixes, making it faster and more stable than ever before!
Up to date packages are available via some third party PPA, so installing the software on Ubuntu systems is easy. All you have to do is add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index and install the rawtherapee package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install rawtherapee
Optional, to remove rawtherapee, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove rawtherapee
The installation instructions should work on Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak, Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 18.x, Linux Mint 17.x, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya and other Ubuntu derivative systems.