Spotify 1.0.7 Beta has been released, being available only for 64 bit (amd64) Ubuntu, Debian and derivative systems.
Spotify is a popular music streaming site that gives you access to all your favorite songs. Spotify has also a Spotify client for Linux, that helps you use the spotify service better.
The latest version available is Spotify 1.0.7 Beta, which brings the below changes:
- Various text/mouse input bugs in current stable release (e.g. client doesn’t give up mouse focus, crash on drag/drop, text input not work on some window managers) have been fixed.
- “Now playing” notifications can be switched off in the settings page
- The WM_CLASS property should be set correctly
- Login with Facebook Connect does not work
- There is no application menu
- There is no tray icon
- Some key bindings do not work yet, like ctrl+s for shuffle, etc.
- The application is super tiny on hi-res displays
- 32-bit builds are not available yet
Spotify is available via an official repository, so installing it on Ubuntu and Debian systems is easy. You just need to add the repository and the key to your system, update the local repository index and install the spotify-client package:
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com testing non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 94558F59
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install spotify-client
The spotify-client package installs the spotify-client-gnome-support package for GTK based desktop environments (Unity, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, Mate) and spotify-client-qt on Qt based desktop environments (LXQt, KDE)
Optional, to remove spotify, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove spotify-client
The installation instructions should work on all the supported Ubuntu, Debian and derivative systems: Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint 6, Peppermint 5, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2, Debian Wheezy, Debian Jessie, LMDE 2, LMDE 1, SparkyLinux and Robolinux.