As you may know, SuperTux is a clone of Mario Classic, working on Linux Systems. In this game, Mario is replaced by Tux the penguin, but the gameplay is loyal to Classic Mario.
The latest version available is SuperTux 0.4, which has been released after 10 years of development. From the changelog:
- updated translations
- reworked add-on manager to support downloadable and updatable localization packs
- many bugfixes
- added iced-graphics to some more badguys
- melting animation for some badguys
- updated more levels (fix playability, …)
- updated build system, featuring unit tests, libraries as git submodules and improved Travis-CI
- builds to support nightly builds
- more levels in Incubator Island
- support for horizontal and vertical gradients that span the length / height of a sector. Add (direction “horizontal_sector / vertical_sector”) to your gradient.
The latest Supertux version is available via some third party PPA, so installing the software on Ubuntu should not cause too many problems.
All you need to do is add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index and install the supertux package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install supertux
Optional, to remove supertux, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove supertux
The installation instructions should work on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr and other Ubuntu derivative systems, like Linux Mint 17.x and Elementary OS 0.3 Freya.