As you may know, Kodi (previously named XBMC) is a famous open source media hub and home theater PC, being translated in more than 30 languages. Also, its features can be highly extended via third party plugins and extensions and has support for PVR (personal video recorder).
With Kodi 15 already released, the developers have announced that Kodi 16 (currently available as Alpha build) will be launched later this year and will feature the below changes:
- DirectX 11 upgrade4:3
- Non-linear Stretch
- Event logging
- Split up skin settings
- Image resource add-ons
- Start of integration of ADSP handling (no add-ons shipped yet)
- Improve image resizing and caching algorithm to improve image quality of images
- Added support for the musicbrainz “ARTISTS” tag in id3v2, ape, xiph.
- Add date added to music library and use it for sorting
- Support saving skin settings as add-on data instead of in guisettings.xml
- Image resource add-ons which provides common image libraries than can be used by several skins and add-ons.
- Don’t mess with the long and short date formats defined in the language files
- Add sort method for albums “artist / year”. This will sort the albums chronological per artist.
- Moved some add-on categories to “look and feel” in add-on manager
- Series recording added for PVR
- Add a “none” option for preferred subtitles
For more information, see the announcement on the Kodi website.