As a reminder, the Ubuntu Touch OTA-4 Update has been released a while ago and now Canonical is prepping the OTA-5 Update, scheduled for release on in mid-July.
Canonical’s David Barth has announced that work started on implementing push notifications for Web Apps, the notifications being already available for native Ubuntu Touch apps.
The push notifications are not 100% ready, but the development is quite advanced. Also, the below demo video has been created.
Also worth mentioning, some work was done for Oxide, the DoNoTrack branch got updated and other under-the-hood enhancements have been implemented.
Other features announced for OTA-5:
- A LibreOffice Viewer App for Ubuntu Touch is already in the works
- The Sudoku and Terminal apps have been updated
- Support for Media-Hub background playlist got implemented in the Music app
- The Calendar app UI has been improved
- Support for WPA-Enterprize in the network indicator and system settings has been added
- Full shell rotation support will be implemented.
As a reminder, Ubuntu Touch is used by default on Bq Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition, Bq Aquaris E5 HD Ubuntu Edition and Meizu MX4 Ubuntu, a phone that is available only in China, for now. Also, Canonical provides official support for the Nexus 4 smartphone, developed by Google and LG.