Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, 0 A D is an open-source war and economy real time strategy game of ancient warfare, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
The came can be played both single-player and multi-player. The latest version availabie is 0 A. D. Alpha 14 Naukratis. The word Naukratis, is the name of a city in the Nine Delta of Lower Egypt, inhabitated by Greeks from the 6th century BC.
Also, the game developers started a crowdfounding at IndieGoGo and aim to raise 160.000 $ in the next 45 days. For more information, see the link over here.
Gameplay improvements brought by 0 A. D. Alpha 14 (from the official site):
- Blacksmiths: A brand new building type for the game, complete with models for all factions. Researches attack and armor upgrades.
- Infinite farms: A farm will now keep yielding food until the end of the match, without need to rebuild it, but with diminishing returns. Only up to 5 gatherers can work on each farm. (Veteran players will notice that more space is now required to produce the same amount of food.)
- Exponential armor and realistic health: Technologies now have the same effect on all units. Also, changes to the way units’ health is calculated in the game allowed us to correct some unrealistic phenomena, like archer damage to buildings.
- Allies can now garrison in each other’s buildings.
- Shared trade gain with allies: When you trade with an ally, there is a +25% bonus over trading with yourself, that is now split between you and your ally.
- Ranged units can hit farther from high places.
- Ranged units had to be within a minimum range from their targets to fire at them. This requirement has been removed.
Graphics, Sound and User Interface Improvements:
- Hero button: A persistent button in the top left appears when you train your one allowed hero(ine). Clicking it selects the hero(ine) wherever he or she is on the map.
- Game speed controls: In single-player games, change the game’s speed whenever you want to.
- Location hotkeys: You can now mark camera positions and jump back to them later with hotkeys.
- GUI dropdowns support typing for quick selection.
- Sound manager improvements: The game now plays a list of multiple songs per match, instead of playing just one song in a loop. Also, the user interface now responds to the user with sounds.
- Terrain anchoring: Units now move more realistically on hills.
- Saved games can now be given descriptions and deleted or overwritten in-game.
- Several random maps were changed to be more beautiful and playable.
- Fancy water rendering is now faster and improved.
- Ships look better when sinking.
The Atlas Scenario Editor, Bug Fixes and Miscellaneous Features:
- Pike elevation tool in Atlas: Allows for making mountains and cliffs more easily.
- Mod improvements: Saving maps in Atlas will no longer make it crash.
- Fixed some common out-of-sync and out-of-memory errors.
- Alert sounds no longer heard by all players, off-screen sounds only heard when appropriate.
- Fixed crash with Nvidia Optimus graphics and some netbooks.
- Walls can be placed along shores.
- Improved hotkey support for non-QWERTY keyboards.
- Several performance improvements.
In this article I will show you how to install 0 A. D. Alpha 14 Naukratis on Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander, Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail, Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 16 Petra, Linux Mint 15 Olivia, Linux Mint 14 Nadia, Linux Mint 13 Maya and Elementary OS 0.2 Luna.
Because it is available via the official Wildfire Games PPA, installing 0 A. D. Alpha 14 Naukratis on Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Elementary OS is easy. All you have to do is add the PPA to the system, update the local repository index and install the 0ad package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install 0ad