Hello Linux Geeksters.
In this article I will show you how to install BURG, for Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail, Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 15 Olivia, Linux Mint 14 Nadia and Linux Mint 13 Maya.
Burg stands for Brand-new Universal loadeR from GRUB. Burg is a prettier Grub, actually. You can set up themes or wallpapers for the bootloader.
How to Install BURG on Ubuntu and Linux Mint:
Add the repo:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/burg
Update the repositories:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install burg burg-themes
Update the boot loader:
$ sudo update-burg
Reboot and that is it.
These are the hot keys:
- t – Open theme selection menu
- f – Toggle between folding mode
- n – Jump to the next item with the same class
- w – Jump to the next Windows item
- u – Jump to the next Ubuntu item
- e – Edit the command of current boot item
- c – Open a terminal window
- 2 – Open two terminal windows
- h – Display help dialog (only available in sora theme)
- i – Display about dialog (only available in sora theme)
- q – Return to old grub menu
- F5/ctrl-x – Finish edit
- F6 – Switch window in dual terminal mode
- F7 – List the folded boot items
- F8 – Toggle between graphic and text mode
- F9 – shutdown
- F10 – reboot
- ESC – quit from the current popup menu or dialog