Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Calligra Suite is an office suite similar to the LibreOffice or OpenOffice suites, being available on Kubuntu and other KDE-based Linux systems. The Calligra suite contains the following apps: Words, Stage, Sheets, Flow, and Kexi (office apps), Krita and Karbon (graphics manipulation) and Plan (project management).
The latest version available is Calligre Suite 2.9.0, which has been recently released, coming with fixes and changes for all its components.
Changes in Krita:
- Support for loading and showing multiple images in one window, and viewing any given image in multiple views and windows.
- Fully integrated the G’Mic set of image manipulation tools, enabling artists to, for instance, greatly speed-up their workflow.
- Greatly extended support for painting in HDR mode, making it a truly creative tool.
- New perspective painting assistants to new color selectors, improved transform tools and non-destructive transformation masks, brush engine improvements, workflow improvements, new filters, support for creating and installing resource packs (brushes, gradients, patterns) and many more.
- Newer technologies have been employed for the tabular (data grid) views and forms.
- Report Designer, Query Designer and data import assistants have improved substantially.
- All that is spiced with a dedicated support for KDE Plasma 5’s look and feel.
- At the organizational level Kexi gained a corporate partner, Milo Solutions
- The 2.9 release already contains contributions from Milo software engineer, Roman Shtemberko.
Also, Calligra Gemini, a novel mix of a traditional desktop app and a touch-friendly tablet app has been created.
For more information about this release, see the official announcement.
It is advised to install Calligra Office Suite 2.9.0 on systems using KDE , because it depends on many kde libraries that will be installed on your system, if they are not already.
In this article I will show you how to install Calligra Office Suite 2.9.0 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn.
Because it is available via Kubuntu Backports PPA, installing Calligra Suite 2.9.0 on the listed Ubuntu 14.10 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the calligra package.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install calligra
To uninstall Calligra Suite 2.9.0 and remove the recently added ppa, do:
$ sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get remove calligra