Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, PiTiVi is an open-source movie editor for the Linux system. The latest version available is PiTiVi 0.94, which has been released a few days ago, coming with Gnome client-side decoration GTK HeaderBar.
Also, except bug-fixes, it brings the below changes:
- The main toolbar and menubar have been replaced by a headerbar and menubutton, saving a significant amount of precious vertical space and using the horizontal space better.
- The viewer has been ported to use a GStreamer GL video output sink instead of the Clutter sink. This solves crashes when running Pitivi outside of GNOME Shell and is expected to be a more future-proof solution.
- We dropped our use of CoGL APIs, namely path_round_rectangle which caused crashes on various Linux distributions shipping a broken version of CoGL
- Pitivi has been ported to Python 3
- Text wrapping in the rendering progress dialog and title editor has been fixed
- Effects can now be reordered within a clip’s properties
- The default positioning of UI components (when starting from a fresh install) has been improved to be balanced properly
- Undocked window components do not shift position on startup anymore
- Docked window components do not shift position on startup anymore, when the window is not maximized. When the window is maximized, the issue remains
- The title editor’s UI has been simplified, and now supports decimal font sizes
- Educational infobars throughout the UI have been tweaked to make their colors less intrusive
- Various issues have been corrected regarding: Drag and drop in the media library, Audio waveforms, Undo/redo
- The user manual is now up to date with the state of the new Pitivi series
- Pitivi has been ported to GtkApplication, allowing us to remove a lot of old code.
- Port deprecated GTK+ widgets to new ones
- Timeline UI animations have been tweaked
- Code refactoring and cleanup all over the place
- Various build and packaging fixes
- Various fixes to the test suite
- Translations have been updated
In this article I will show you how to install Pitivi 0.94 on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Pinguy OS, LXLE, Deepin, Linux Lite, Peppermint, Debian, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Mageia and OpenMandriva.
Because it is not available via any repository, we have to download the Pitivi tar archive from the project’s website, extract it and run the extracted file. Follow the instructions for your system and architecture exactly, in order to get a successful installation.
How to install Pitivi 0.94 on 32 bit Linux systems:
$ wget http://fundraiser.pitivi.org/static/pitivi-0.94-beta-x86.tar
$ tar -xvf pitivi-0.94-beta-x86.tar
$ sudo chmod +x pitivi-0.94-beta-x86
How to install Pitivi 0.94 on 64 bit Linux systems:
$ wget http://fundraiser.pitivi.org/static/pitivi-0.94-beta-x86_64.tar
$ tar -xvf pitivi-0.94-beta-x86_64.tar
$ sudo chmod +x pitivi-0.94-beta-x86_64