Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Sigil is an open-source, multi-platform, lightweight, EPUB reader. Most important features: support for UTF-16, regular expression find and replace support, support for importing EPUB and HTML files, WYSIWYG editing feature in Book View, control over editing EPUB syntax in Code View, table of contents generator, spell checking with either default or user configured dictionaries.
The latest version available is Sigil 0.8.4, which has been released a while ago, coming with the below changes:
- Fix for removeall plugins bug where all plugins would remove all plugins
regardless if the user clicked no instead of yes.
- Validation result plugins will auto close the Plugin Runner
- Dialog since the dialog has no real info and openes the
- validation pane with the results anyway.
- New Plugin Preferences Support added
- Plugins Manager will now remember last folder used
- Support for building both Linux .deb and .rpm packages
- Lots of Linux build support, compilation, installation, and documentation improvements
- Qt 5.4 is now a minimum requirement.
- Build changes to support update to latest Qt 5.4.0 and to use latest C++11 compiler
- Numerous bugs fixed or worked around including:
- Make Invocation of CSS W3C Online Validator more reliable
- Fix to make Preview Window update after BookView to prevent memory corruption and crashes
- Workaround Qt bug (font cache assertion) when using clearMemoryCaches()
- Properly handle loadFinsihed Signal in BookViewPreview to prevent clashes between BookView and Preview
- Fix for Sigil memory use after it was freed bug
- Workaround to the extent possible Qt bug with memory use after free using QWebInspectors
- Workaround to the extent possible Qt bug with memory use after free when closing MainWindows
- Bug fix to prevent crashes in KeyboardsShortcuts when accessing
- Preferences with multiple MainWindows
In this article I will show you how to install Sigil 0.8.4 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2 and other Ubuntu 14.10 and Ubuntu 14.04 derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing Sigil 0.8.4 on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the sigil package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:i2p.packages/i2p
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sigil
Optional, to remove sigil, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove sigil
Thanks for the PPA.
But, the version that it’s been installed is 0.8.2, and not the latest & greatest 0.8.4.
We would just like to thank you for maintaining Sigil for Linux in any way possible. It helps our team keep together for those who work primarily in Linux around the globe.
N.D. Author Services.