Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, SuperTuxKart is an open-source, racing game, available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. The latest version available is SuperTuxKart 0.9.0, which has been recently released.
Highlights of SuperTuxKart 0.9:
- Fully shader-based rendering engine
- New tracks Cocoa Temple and Gran Paradiso
- Graphical improvements to many other tracks
- New karts Amanda, Gavroche, Sara
- Improved tux, adiumy, Suzanne and Xue.
- Online login which allows to:
- connect with friends and see when they are playing
- vote for addons
- collect online achievements
- Different kart physics
- In-game Grand Prix editor
- Random Grand Prix generation
- Achievement system
For more information about this release, see the official changelog.
In this article I will show you how to install SuperTuxKart 0.9.0 on the most popular Linux systems, including: Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Pinguy OS, Elementary OS, Deepin, Peppermint, LXLE, Linux Lite, Debian, SparkyLinux, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE, Arch Linux, Manjaro, Mageia and OpenMandriva systems.
In order to play Supertuxkart, we have to download the archive from sourceforge, extract it, cd into the extracted folder and run the launcher. Like this:
$ wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/supertuxkart/files/SuperTuxKart/0.9/supertuxkart-0.9-linux.tar.gz
$ tar -xjvf supertuxkart-0.9-linux.tar.gz
$ rm supertuxkart-0.9-linux.tar.bz2
$ cd supertuxkart-0.9-linux