Edit: Due to the fact that this article is old, the installation instructions may not work anymore. In order to successfully install the latest version of Texstudio, please access the texstudio tag and open the latest article (the one on top).
Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, TeXstudio is an open-source integrated writing environment for creating LaTeX documents. Among others, it has syntax highlighting features, an integrated viewer, reference checking, completion for references and bibliography entries, access to over 1000 mathematical symbols easy and a feature for performing copy/paste/insert new table columns operations with a single click.
The latest version available is TeXstudio 2.8.8, which has been released a while ago, coming with the below changes:
- basic Asymptote highlighting
- improved parsing of command options
- notify that syncing between PDF and .tex won’t work anymore after “File Save As…” (need to recompile)
- improved startup speed compared to 2.8.6 (Note: searching for a running LanguageTool server still causes considerable delay on Windows. If you do not use the Grammar Check you can improve startup speed by disabling the Grammar Check in the options.)
- fix: txs finds resource in app if it is not installed under /Applications…
- fix: open completer with typing comma only when the context suggests it
- fix: crash in column handling of table parser
- fix: tab replacement was only performed for tabOrIndent if there was a selection
- fix: shortcut saving, so that added shortcuts (editor) are saved
- fix: too large symbol on non-retina screen with retina notebook
- fix: shortcut Shift+Backspace works like Backspace (Win+Linux)
- fix: indentation increasing if pasting with newline at and and cursor is at line start
- fix: replacing a selection by itself should not change anything (fixes indentation issues for some cases of selection-self-replacement)
- fix: rendering results may be slightly differerent depending on the usage of the line cache. some updates to the manual
In this article I will show you how to install TeXstudio 2.8.8 on Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2 and other Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 12.04 derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing TeXstudio 2.8.8 on Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the texstudio package. Like this:
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:blahota/texstudio
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install texstudio
Optional, to remove texstudio, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove texstudio