Tor Browser Bundle is an internet browser based on Mozilla Firefox configured to protect the users’ anonimity, via Tor and Vidalia. The bundle also includes 3 Firefox extensions: Torbutton, NoScript and HTTPS-Everywhere.
The Tor Browser anonymizes the traffic and encrypts everything everything in the Tor network. Via the HTTPS-Everywhere extension, it also encrypts the traffic between the Tor network and the final destination.
The latest version available is Tor Browser Bundle 5.5a4, which brings the below small changes:
- Update Firefox to 38.4.0esr
- Update Tor to 0.2.7.4-rc
- Update NoScript to 184.108.40.206
- Update HTTPS-Everywhere to 5.1.1
- Update Torbutton to 220.127.116.11
- Spoof Referer when leaving a .onion domain
- Remove old window.name handling code
- Don’t show text-select cursor on circuit display
- Remove unused code
- Translation updates
- Hide MIME types and plugins from websites
- Adapt to HTTPS-Everywhere build changes
- Move window.name handling into a Firefox patch
- Support math symbols in font whitelist
- Include updater and build patches needed for hardened builds
- Remove dead ScrambleSuit bridge
- Remove default Flashproxy bridges
- Update meek-amazon fingerprint
- Ensure that non-ASCII characters can be typed
While there is no official Tor repository or PPA, there is a third party one, containing the latest versions of TOR, as it gets updated.
The below instructions should work on all the supported Ubuntu systems and derivatives: Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/tor-browser
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install tor-browser
To start tor, just open a terminal, type tor and hit enter.
Next, to use Tor, open it, press connect and wait until you get connected to the Tor network.
Optional, to remove tor browser, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove tor-browser
Leave a Reply