Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Variety is an app indicator that changes the desktop wallpaper, using automatically downloaded images from: Wallhaven.cc, Flickr, Wallpapers.net, Desktoppr, NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day.
It works well on the most popular desktop environments: Unity, Gnome Shell, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Enlightenment, Cinnamon, Mate and Pantheon.
The latest version available is Variety 0.5, which has been recently, released, coming with the below changes:
- Smart: updated again some texts
- Removed some unnecessary delays in Timer calls
- Trashing was slow due to smart-reporting: update queues and wallpaper first, report and delete in an outer thread afterwards
- Added TestRedditDownloader
- Initial registration screen: Register link instructs user to look for a new browser tab
- Smart: updated some welcome screens texts
- Smart: try to load user in init to avoid exception related to creating RecommendedDownloader
- Updated variety.pot
In this article I will show you how to install Variety 0.5 on Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Linux Mint 13 Maya, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Elementary OS 0.2 Luna, Deepin 2014, Peppermint Five, LXLE 14.04, Linux Lite 2 and other Ubuntu derivative systems.
Because it is available via PPA, installing Variety 0.5 on Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the variety package. Like this:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install variety
To use Wallhaven.cc instead of Wallbase.cc, which is not supported anymore, you need to delete the variety config folder:
$ rm ~/.config/variety
Optional, to remove variety, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove variety