As you may know, Battle for Wesnoth is an open source turn-based strategy game, running on Linux. The player trains soldiers, to create an undefeatable army, in order to fight agains orcs, undead, bandits and win, in the Kingdom of Wesnoth.
The game is very competitive, the user can choose from hundreds of different soldier types, like infantry, cavalry, archers, mages, et cetera and fight with friends or strangers, in multiplayer mode.
The Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.x series has been updated, Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 bringing fixes and security updates only:
- Eastern Invasion:
- Fixed scenario events not working right on easy difficulty in ‘Captured’.
Legend of Wesmere
- Fixed carryover bugs in scenarios 5-12.
Language and i18n:
- Updated translations: British English, French, Hungarian, Japanese, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic, Spanish.
- Fixed crashes during start-up on Windows resulting from add-ons containing erroneous textdomain declarations
- Force uniform font rendering settings across X11 and Apple OS X, avoiding
color glitches resulting from incorrect applications of subpixel hinting
Miscellaneous and bug fixes:
- Fixed OOS on random maps, where clients placed sides in different castles.
- Fixed broken Oasis terrain help entry
- Fixed cases of wrong unit type used in planning moves
- Avoid crash when planning moves on planned recruits
Battle for Wesnoth is available via some third party PPA, so installing the game on Ubuntu should not be such a difficult task. You just need to add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index and install the wesnoth-1.12 package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:vincent-c/wesnoth
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wesnoth-1.12
Optional, to remove wesnoth, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove wesnoth-1.12
The installation instructions should work on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr and derivative systems like Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint 6, Peppermint 5, LXLE 14.04 and Linux Lite 2.
Thank you so much! As a noob at Linux who loves playing Wesnoth, this was a super helpful guide.