As you may know, GnuCash is an open-source, cross-platform small business financial-accounting software similar to HomeBank, designed to easily help the users track bank accounts, stocks, incomes and expenses. Via its intuitive checkbook register, it is based on professional accounting principles to ensure balanced books and accurate reports.
The latest version available is GnuCash 2.6.12, which has been released a while ago. From the changelog:
- Customer and vendor report for partners who get invoiced/paid in foreign currency show total labeled with the symbol of the default currency
- Adding reversing transaction to bill transactions creates undeleteable transactions
- General Ledger report – ‘Primary Sort Key’ value is not persistent
- Not possible to reset an invoice/bill counter format
- Print (bottom) prints to middle for 3-check pages
- Decide payment type only based on the account type involved
- Barcharts with many data points have overlapping x-axis labels
- Cannot add stock price on Price Editor
- Splash screen doesn’t set the floating hint.
- Posting bill converts currency to itself using 0 rate
- Setting number format details appear wrong in Help, section 10.3.4. Counters Book Options Tab
- Budget Summary section does not show expense totals
- Tip about subaccount is confusing
- Bills can be posted from “find bill” search results even if bill is already posted and results in extra $ posted to A/P
- scheduled transaction fails without warning
- CSV Invoice Import – Items with double quote escape not imported.
- guile support is automagic
- Get Quotes updates value just once per day
- Non-ASCII characters not shown in Report Name when a report is created with 2.6.12
- Duplicating multiple invoices results in invoices without an ID number
commodities prices editor creates hidden db entries
- Invalid exchange rate is recorded when entering multi-currency transaction
- GnuCash has empty reports in recent Gentoo builds.
Up to date packages are available via some third party PPA, so installing the software on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf systems is easy.
All you need to do is add the PPA to your system, update the local repository index and install the gnucash package:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/programs-ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install gnucash
Optional, to remove gnucash, do:
$ sudo apt-get remove gnucash