Hello Linux Geeksters. As you may know, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr is scheduled for release on the 17th of April, 2014, and will be using Unity 7 running over the good X.org display server.
The idea of convergence is to create an unique system, capable of running on both a desktop and mobile device. Ubuntu’s convergence has been demoed by Jono Bacon, Ubuntu’s Community Manager, via the Weather App and the Karma Machine.
While Ubuntu Touch is already powered by Unity 8 and Mir, Canonical has to bring the desktop version of Ubuntu to the same level. After the release of Ubuntu 14.04, they will focus on convergence and porting Unity 8 on Ubuntu 14.10. Also, Mir will be usable on Ubuntu 14.10, but will be set as default on Ubuntu 16.04, the next Ubuntu LTS version and the first Ubuntu system to be using systemd instead of Upstart.
Also, they need to do some changes to the desktop. Among others, this are the proposed changes for Ubuntu 14.10:
- upstart/systemd to be the root process and replace gnome-session
- the screensaver to be managed directly from the shell
- the Ubuntu System Settings (already available on Ubuntu Touch) to be patched to replace the Unity Control Center
- the Ubuntu Touch Core Apps to be ported for the Ubuntu desktop
- Files (Canonical’s file manager) to replace Nautilus