As you may already know, Canonical has worked a lot at Ubuntu Touch lately and the fourth update (OTA 4) is scheduled for release next week, the update being available only on the Bq Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition.
A few days ago, Canonical’s Łukasz Zemczak has announced that Ubuntu Touch OTA-4 RC1 has been already released and the OTA-4 will be available starting with next week.
Also, according to Łukasz, the documentation still needs to be updated, the dual-landing feature is not yet ready to get implemented in OTA 4 and the devel-proposed branch which contains Ubuntu Touch images based on Ubuntu 15.10 contains some issues and the users are not advised to switch to the devel branch yet. (this is difficult anyway, without the dual-landing feature.
A few of the new features that will get implemented in the Ubuntu Touch OTA 4:
- the code base will switch to Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet
- support for USB Tethering and NFC will be added
- .M3U playlists will be supported
- support for video playback under the lockscreen will been added
- a Private Browsing mode for the default internet browser
- phone-specific optimizations will be created