Hello Jolla Enthusiasts. VLC Remote is an application that enables the users login to VLC by inserting IP, Port, Username and Password and to remote access the following functions: Play/Pause, Next/Previous, Forward/Rewind, Volume, Random/Loop/Repeat, Full Screen.
The latest version available is VLC Remote 0.5.1, which has been recently updated, coming with the below fixes and enhancements:
- User Interface
- UI is much smoother and more responsive
- UI now syncs with VLC player
- Users can choose the sync rate to every 1, 2, 5, 10 seconds or never
- UI sync gets disabled if application is in background or screen is not active
- Player now shows the name of the opened file
- File-name, Artist and Album names are displayed
- Connection settings is now dialogue page to match Sailfish UI conventions
- Removed pulley menu for connection and replaced it with dialogue accept swipe
- Added additional controls menu (swipe up)
- Updated the help page
In this article I will show you how to install VLC Remote 0.5.1 on Jolla’s Sailfish OS.
Because it is available via OpenRepos.net, installing VLC Remote 0.3.5 can be done via either Warehouse or by downloading the VLC Remote rpm package and installing it directly from the file manager, by double-clicking the package. Download VLC Remote 0.5.1.
Usage and setup instructions are provided here.
For those who don’t know yet, Jolla is a project developed by former Nokia employees. The first Jolla smartphone is running on Sailfish OS, a modified Megoo Linux system, which is Android compatible, uses Wayland as the default display server , uses Nokia N9′s Maliit touchscreen keyboard and comes with interchangeable covers, allowing the users to easily switch them, in order to change the color/model of the phone and comes with impressive hardware specifications.
While apps with native Sailfish OS support can be installed via the Jolla Store and OpenRepos.net, Android apps can be installed via the same Jolla Store, or via F-Droid, Yandex Store, Amazon App Store, Aptoide and 1Mobile Android Market.